Available forKeynote, Virtual Presentation, Fireside Chat, Panel, Moderator
Domestic In-Person (USA): $5,000 – $10,000*
International In-Person: Please inquire
Virtual: Please Inquire
* Ranges are presented as a guideline only. Speaker fees vary by engagement type and are subject to change without notice. For an exact quote, please contact Gravity Speakers.
Traveling FromCalifornia, USA
Dan Walters has been a journalist for nearly 60 years, spending all but a few of those years working for California newspapers. At one point in his career, at age 22, he was the nation’s youngest daily newspaper editor.
He joined The Sacramento Union’s Capitol bureau in 1975, just as Jerry Brown began his governorship, and later became the Union’s Capitol bureau chief. In 1981, Mr. Walters began writing the state’s only daily newspaper column devoted to California political, economic and social events.
In 1984, he and the column moved to The Sacramento Bee and in 2017, Mr. Walters and his column shifted to CALmatters.org, a non-profit organization devoted to California public policy issues. He has written more than 9,000 articles and his column appears in dozens of California newspapers.
Mr. Walters has written about California and its politics for a number of other publications, including The Wall Street Journal, and in 1986, his book, The New California: Facing the 21st Century, was published in its first edition. The book later underwent revisions and became a widely used college textbook about socioeconomic and political trends in the state.
He is also the founding editor of the California Political Almanac and the co-author of The Third House: Lobbyists, Money, and Power in Sacramento, published by the University of California. Mr. Walters frequently appears on CNN, Fox, and other networks, commenting about political developments in California.
Backroom Politics: The Inside Story of Lobbying in California
The State of California: Past, Present and Future
How Interests Win and Lose in the Political Arena
California’s Economic and Political Future
Planning and Financing Public Works in an Era of Polarized Politics
Political Climate in an Election Year
Dan Walters is a leading expert on California matters and can customize his content to fit your needs.
- “Dan Walters was in top form when he spoke at our conference recently in Monterey. His was provocative, informative and knowledgeable about California politics, and his presentation received an "A" from our people. His insight into the future was received well and his personal experiences provided my guests with some of the best political commentary in 30 years. We will certainly consider him again at a future conference/meeting.” Bill Mattos President, California Poultry Federation
- "Dan Walters has spoken at many of our conferences and always does a great job." Caitlin Cole Conference Program Manager, League of California Cities
- "The two associations Dan spoke to were blown away with how knowledgeable he was and how he was able to convey what's going on in Sacramento in easy to understand comments for people who are not immersed in politics every day." Tracy Morgan Hollingworth MPA CAE Morgan Hollingworth Public Affairs & Association Management
- “Dan was very informative and concise with his messaging. He spoke on exactly the topics we needed him to.” Ferrah McKeown Bay Area Mobility Management